" I implore you, my child; observe heaven and earth, consider all that is in them, and acknowledge that God made them out of nothing (ex nihilo), and that mankind comes into being in the same way..." 2 Maccabees 7:28

Saturday, May 3, 2008

More Crazy Dreams


Charity told me no one would believe I actually had this dream, but it is all true. As mentioned in previous posts, every night we watch 2 episodes of "Alias" right before we go to bed; as the show gets more intense, my dreams get more intense.

Last night I dreamed that I was working on a mission with Sydney, the CIA spy. I was her partner but I had no field training so I kept messing up everything. I was supposed to drive the surveillance van but I got lost and was driving around looking for a house to which I had lost the address. Then I blew our cover because I mistook a pedicure for a fight and shouted "So! You're one of the bad guys, too!" to a good guy who went bad out of frustration in having to work with me. Then Sydney asked me a question in code- I knew it was a code but had no idea what it meant or how to respond; all I could do was hold up my hands and say "I've never been trained for this!" to which she frustratedly wrote on a scrap of paper "did you blow our cover? yes no circle one. I circled yes.

Everyone was frustrated with me and I felt so bad because I knew our mission was important. Then the bad guy and the good- guy-turned -bad from frustration came after me with guns. I barely made it to the back door in time when I made an amazing discovery- I had springy legs! I could jump from roof to roof and leave them all behind, because in all their CIA and KGB training they had never learned how to take aim and shoot at a target who could bounce around like me! So I boinged off to safety, leaving them all behind with this curious sense of redemption in my heart.

It actually reminded me of my real life college experience working as a temp in a foster care agency. I did everything wrong- I erased their computer data base (um... oops?). Unbeknownst to me, my boss had stayed up till midnight restoring it; the next day I figured out how to restore some files and proudly put them all back on so there were duplicates of everything that had to be erased manually, one at a time. I didn't know how to do this, so my boss had to fix it herself(...sorry?)

The next day I had to tell them that I was not going to work beyond the next week, but the blow of that news was softened by my final disaster at running off 150 standard .29 cent letters through the postal machine at $1.25 each (didn't notice that someone had reset the meter- never used one of these things before; you can take it out of my paycheck, if you like...) Like in my dream, I finally made it out of there alive, only in real life, I didn't boing off triumphantly in the end. Just kind of slunk off apologetically with the firm resolve in my heart never again to do secretarial work. It's not fun to be trapped in a situation for which you are so abysmally unsuited.

But I still think if I'd had the right training, I could've made it as a spy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Everyone's first mission is a little rough. Good thing about those springy legs!

On the other hand, I think I know why you've been making all these sudden trips to eastern Europe. Secret Missions? Gathering Intelligence? Contacting Informants on the Other Side? Oh yeah, I've got you figured out.

Anonymous said...

I think those boingy, springy legs represent some untouched hidden gifts that are soon to be relalized!

Love,
Trisha