" I implore you, my child; observe heaven and earth, consider all that is in them, and acknowledge that God made them out of nothing (ex nihilo), and that mankind comes into being in the same way..." 2 Maccabees 7:28

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Making Chem Glam


Here is my long- promised, much requested picture of Brother Robert, the shorn Dominican. What a friend! I myself still have not really gotten a good look at my bald head. I leave the lights off in the bathroom when I take a shower and just use the nightlight instead to minimize the risk of catching a glimpse of myself. I feel like the ultimate prude.

Well, I have a new, super swank head covering. Brown with pink embroidery and even a few tasteful sequins (very small and not too shiny). I know Kasia won't approve of the brown, but what can I say? I LIKE brown... it's such a warm, maternal color. When Kasia and I lived together, she was famous for telling me in no uncertain terms that I was no longer allowed to go shopping unattended as I would come back with more... brown clothes. But even Kasia would like my new swanky head thingie, despite her brown aversion. It does reduce the flow of blood to my ears, however. And I'm afraid that my ear tips will eventually just fall off from poor circulation, but as mom used to say, "you have to suffer to be beautiful". Charity and I were reminiscing about growing up with long hair and a dad who didn't know how to comb it- he'd just stick the comb in at the top and pull down towards the bottom, seeming rather perplexed at our screams of protest (Ow! Don't do it that way! Do it the way MOM does it! Ow!). His towelling techniques after baths needed some work as well. To dry us off post bathing he'd just drag a big bath towel vigorously back and forth in the "nether regions" until we yelped. I mean, come on- did he dry himself off that way? Geez.

Still feeling nauseous, but learning some tricks to help control it. On the first round of chemo, I had a cup of ice to suck on during the infusion. The ice is supposed to slow the blood flow to the mouth and decrease the chance of mouth sores, as well as reduce the "metalmouth" side effect. Unfortunately, the ice from our refrigerator tastes worse than metal, it tastes like onion. So when I think about ice now I get nauseous (also thermos cups and metal spoons), but I can minimize the effect by quickly thinking about applesauce.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmm... applesauce.

I spent an afternoon caramelizing onions for a French Onion Soup once. It took about two hours, constantly standing over the onions and stirring "occasionally". But it was worth it because as they cooked the scent of them changed three or four times, and it gave me a real feel for the different flavors you can get out of an onion. Definitely an experience everyone should have. And maybe you'll make your peace with the scent and flavor of onion?

Love and prayers, as always. God bless you!

Trinka said...

I never would have recognized Brother Robert without hair! What a faithful commenter he is too. I just read and leave, and you only know I've been here because you see it on your stats.

Kasia said...

Brown and GRAY. Don't forget the Grey! When I was moving to Georgia and letting go of all my pre-pregnancy clothes, you took all the gray ones, as I recall. In fact, early on, I was wondering why your blog wasn't a brown or gray background.

On a different note, what about lemonade ice chips? From fresh lemons? Or frozen applesauce popsicles? I think I might just make some myself...

Kathryn said...

Welcome to the world of "anticipatory nausea!" When I heard that expression, I thought I had heard it all when it comes to being sick to my stomach (and I thought I'd experienced how bad it could be after being pregnant).

Ice, metal spoons, the metal thermal cup I had my ice in, lemon drops (the candy I would suck to get rid of the metallic taste), the watermelon Jolly Ranchers they gave me once when the lemon drops just didn't cut it. A year later, and I still can't manage ice in my drinks (or lemon drops or watermelon Jolly Ranchers). The sound of ice cubes crashing into the kids' cups when they are getting a drink from the fridge makes me feel slightly nauseous, even now. I hope this one doesn't hang on for you like it has for me. It's kind of a drag and hits when you don't expect it. I use it as a gentle reminder to be so thankful for how different things are in 2008 versus 2007!

For some good news: Taxol doesn't make you nauseous. Other side-effects, yes, but no nausea. Woohoo!!!
Kathryn