" I implore you, my child; observe heaven and earth, consider all that is in them, and acknowledge that God made them out of nothing (ex nihilo), and that mankind comes into being in the same way..." 2 Maccabees 7:28

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cycle 2, Day 3


Well, when I'm in the house I have my hair pulled back with a clip and two little ponytails to keep it from falling out all over the rugs and my clothing (the hairstyle is a little childish and stupid, but then again, so's cancer.). This morning I chanced a shampoo (the first one since it started falling out on Monday) and sure enough, that REALLY causes some fallout. It doesn't look thin as compared to the rest of the world, but boy does it feel thin to me.

Every morning I take out my ponytails, put on a big bathrobe and go outside to brush all the loose hair out, then I shake out my bathrobe before going back inside. In middle school, my sister had a paper route; every day she would prepare her papers for delivery on the front porch but was frustrated because she felt like she was always missing string. The mystery was solved in the fall when we found adandoned birds nests in the backyard made almost entirely out of her newspaper string. i hope they're taking all my hair and making good use of it.

As weird as it is to have my hair falling out, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Nothing has been as bad as I would've imagined it to be, really. I recovered from the surgery quickly, I have had only the most predictable of side effects (fatigue, headaches, weakness, mild nausea and cramping) but nothing severe. It's really the anticipation that has been the worst part.

By the way, every evening I drink a huge mug of steaming... prune juice! That's right! And it's really good. Full of vitamins and minerals, don't know where this stuff has been all my life. It has long been associated with grumpy, backed- up elderly people, but I feel it is time that prune juice got a make- over. I plan to make prune juice cool, just as soon as I can make myself cool and then prune juice by association.

Wish me luck.

Love, Faith

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You look like Pippi Longstockings -- or, as Hope would put it, Papey Longstockings.

Gotta say, though, you still look beautiful. God is with you, and I give him thanks for the opportunity to know you and to pray for you.

hopeyg said...

Papes, You make even prune juice look good! Love ya my little prune.

Anonymous said...

I think you've just made prune juice cool! I actually just bought dried prunes today in your honor. You're in my prayers. Love, Nellie

Anonymous said...

P.S. By the way, I know they make great wigs these days. One of my good friends had the most beautiful red wig when she had cancer and her hair fell out. We were all jealous and wanted wigs too. And by the way, she is fully recovered from her cancer and has beautiful, long hair once again. Love and prayers, Nellie

Kathryn said...

I was just happy to have my scalp stop hurting! Look for the positives.... they come in the most unusual places! Kathryn

Xerofall said...

Prune juice? They need a way to make juice from raisins. ;)

-Jeff

Anonymous said...

Prune juice and good in the same sentence? Hum! I am not convinced. You do look really cute in the pigtail picture.

Trisha

Kasia said...

I never thought of prune juice hot. IS there an advantage to that? I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

Can you please explain how cancer is childish? -Trinka