" I implore you, my child; observe heaven and earth, consider all that is in them, and acknowledge that God made them out of nothing (ex nihilo), and that mankind comes into being in the same way..." 2 Maccabees 7:28

Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Great Idea. If I Do Say So Myself.

As I've mentioned in several posts, I get very frustrated with my sarcasm. I don't want to be the kind of person who tears down rather than builds up. And I also am very conscious lately of the enormous debt of gratitude that I owe to my parents; more than can ever be repaid, that they deserve my deepest respect and instead all they get is more sarcasm. So I decided I was going to do a novena of confessions, in the tradition of Pope John Paul II who went to confession every day. Everyday for 9 days I will go to confession (I'm on day 3 today) and confess sarcasm and not honoring my mother and father.
It's sort of like sacramental chemotherapy- you hit it once and then weaken it, but then you don't stop there, you just keep hitting it and hitting it for 9 days.
Somethings gotta give. I'm sure of it.

4 comments:

Robert said...

It's funny: I'm reading Josef Pieper's book on The Four Cardinal Virtues, and he notes that there are some obligations (such as the obligations of children to their parents) which are, by their very nature, impossible to fulfill. We therefore take on acts that appear to be excessive (like, say, a novena of confessions) to show our gratitude and willingness to repay what has been given to us. This is just and right, exactly because it doesn't fit into the strict definition of "justice." Rather, it is Justice being completed by Love.

hopeyg said...

Hey Papes,

If the novena of confessions doesn't work, how about the nail in the door trick- remember when mom did that to charity :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is quite a committment! I wish you the best of luck!

chairs said...

actually all u need to do is make mom a mixed tape of us girls singing Judy Garland hits. Instant fulfillment!