" I implore you, my child; observe heaven and earth, consider all that is in them, and acknowledge that God made them out of nothing (ex nihilo), and that mankind comes into being in the same way..." 2 Maccabees 7:28

Friday, August 1, 2008


Well. the American frat boy I mentioned in my last letter was NOT my roommate, thank goodness. My roommates are a guy from Quebec and 2 guys from Oxford, all of them appear to be in their mid- 20's and pretty nice. Don't worry, dad. I am not their type. The American with the baggy t shirts and pale legs isn't even a blip on their radar. Women here (as in all big cities in Europe) dress low- cut, skin- tight and high heels, all the time. Even for just a trip to the grocery store. I saw a woman carrying 1 baby and pushing another in a stroller wearing an extremely mini skirt and spike heels. Sheesh- if having 2 young children doesn't earn you the right to wear comfortable shoes, what does? I am really looking forward to the actual walk, hoping to meet some people with whom I would have more in common.

Just this morning I got into a debate with the guy who works at the hostel, a Polish guy in his mid- 20's who considers himself a Buddhist, atheist and a communist (and no, he doesn't acknowledge the impossibility of these things to co-exist logically). He says people who take care of other people do more damage than good because they upset the natural order. If we feed all the starving children in Africa, we will eventually all starve because there will not be enough food to go around. "Enough for everyone, or just enough for you?" I wanted to ask but didn't because, as he was overweight he might have taken it in the wrong way. But anyway the whole conversation was frustrating and irrational. I guess sometimes you've just gotta throw up your hands and blow these things off, but that is not my strong suit.



By the way, in regards to my last post Kasia pointed out that in Poland people are catechized not to receive communion unless they just went to confession.

I miss you guys- I wish I had some friends out here. I feel like an anomaly in this big city known for cheap vodka. The gatorade is good, though.

More later.

Faith

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Faith,

You were a blogger even before you knew it.

Did the Gatorade really taste different there than in the US?

Inquiry minds want to know! Or at least my mind wants to know.